Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Seriously - Egg-splosion

I don't really know how I made it to my age without ever hearing that cooking eggs in the microwave could end in an explosion.... but somehow I never got the memo.

I have been eating a lot of egg whites with my no sugar/no white flour diet, and it is much easier for me just to nuke them.  Well, the other day Trey saw me cooking mine and asked if he could have one too.  I decided the yolks would be good for him, so added the yolk from my egg to the bowl with his egg in it and put it in the microwave -- this was the outcome...
Not 30 seconds in to the cooking time and there was one of the loudest indoor BOOMS I have ever heard.  I opened the microwave to see the remains of the solo egg yolk.
Trying to salvage the other egg, (it still needed to cook a bit more) I decided it would be a good idea to pierce it with a fork like you are supposed to do with potatoes so they don't explode...

As soon as my fork touched the yolk, there was another EXTREMELY LOUD (unmuffled by the microwave this time) KA-BOOM, and that yolk exploded all over me and the entire kitchen, Trey even had some on him.
I was quite shaken up and my ears were ringing.  Trey thought it was pretty darn hilarious -- but wouldn't eat the remains of the egg after seeing how dangerous those little things could be.

Funny thing though -- I am tempted to try it again just so Jake can hear how loud it really is :)

No comments: