Thursday, October 8, 2009

Seriously - Not a Funny One

I had to draw this to help explain it ---

Last week after we dropped Justin off at the base, we headed home.  It was around 9:30pm and very dark.  We were driving along the interstate, when we came up behind what at first looked like a tanker.  When we got closer we realized it was a truck with a giant cylinder shaped tank of some kind strapped to a trailer.  While behind it a thought crossed my mind...
What if that big thing fell off?
Well, not even a minute later a gust of wind came up and the big black circle was moving toward us.  Jake slowed down quickly and I braced myself, because I didn't know where the thing was going to go, or what was going to happen with the cars behind us.  Luckily the traffic was minimal.   If it had been heavy, I don't know if an accident could have been avoided.  The tank came a ways toward us and made a grinding noise that sounded like heavy plastic or fiber glass against the pavement, then it started rolling into the other lane, and as soon as it did that Jake sped up and passed it (which was a smart move because if a following car hadn't seen it, they might have easily hit it, or us).  
Finally the tank rolled into the median and the truck pulled over.  I was very relieved that Jake had reacted well, and that we were safe.  I definitely felt like we were blessed.

There have been lots of times that I have been driving behind a load that looks a bit precarious, and I am sure I have wondered to myself before if the load might come loose.... pretty crazy to actually have it happen.

No comments: